Hello

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Benji 2 club opening

We use a 2
club opening to mean 18-19 points with balanced hand or unbalanced hand with 8
playing tricks.

If after 2
diamond response opener bids 2 hearts, I would take opening 2 have 8 playing
tricks in hearts, but not necessarily 18 -19 points.

My partner
disagreed.

Any views?

Comments

• Let me start with "18-19 balance" option. I dislike this. Many who play Benji include a balanced hand in their 2C bid. They might, for instance, play a 2NT opening as 20-21, 2C followed by 2NT as 22-23 and 2D followed by 2NT as 24-25. But I can't see any advantage in making it as low as 18-19. Have you have ever toiled in a 2NT contract opposite partner who holds very little, with limited or no entries to dummy? I would open at the one-level with 18-19 and rebid 2NT after partner's response. if partner can't respond, they have fewer than four of five points and two no trumps is likely to be unpleasant.

The "8 Playing Tricks in an unbalanced hand" option is normal. But I wouldn't expect the point count to be much below 18. The hand should have some defensive quality as well as playing tricks - this helps partner to understand what to do if the opponents compete. So for example:

AKQJ10XXX

XX

X

XX

This has eight playing tricks, but is a long way away from a Benji 2C opening. It would be far better to open this hand 4S.

• If you play in the EBU, the unbalanced hand must have at least the high-card strength of a one-level opener.
  • A Benji 2C opener must be an Acol Strong Two" defined as:-
    8 clear cut playing tricks with no support from partner and 2nd worst trump break.
    OR
    rule of 25, HCP's plus number of cards in 2 longest suits
    OR
    16+ pts and strong suit.

Anything else is not allowed.
  • edited March 21
    The EBU 2013 Orange Book says: 
    10 B 3 Strong openings are often described as ‘Extended Rule of 25’ which means the
    minimum allowed is any of:
    a) subject to proper disclosure, a hand that contains as a minimum the normal highcard
    strength associated with a one-level opening and at least eight clear cut tricks,
    or
    b) any hand meeting the Rule of 25 or
    c) any hand of at least 16 HCPs

c) does not specify that the 16+ HCP hand has to have a strong suit. 
  • Why are you quoting the Orange Book 2013? a. It is the Blue Book and b. it has been updated (last time August 2016)
  • I am quoting from the Orange Book 2012 (got the year wrong). 

ORANGE BOOK
    HANDBOOK OF EBU DIRECTIVES and PERMITTED AGREEMENTS
    Revised 2012

10 B 3 Strong openings are often described as ‘Extended Rule of 25’ which means the
    minimum allowed is any of:
    a) subject to proper disclosure, a hand that contains as a minimum the normal highcard
    strength associated with a one-level opening and at least eight clear cut tricks,
    or
    b) any hand meeting the Rule of 25 or
    c) any hand of at least 16 HCPs
    Examples:
    ª A K Q J x x x x © x x ¨ x x § x does count as 8 clear-cut tricks.
    ª A K Q x x x x x © x x ¨ x x § x does not.
    Clear-cut tricks are clarified as tricks expected to make opposite a void in partner’s
    hand and the second best suit break.
    Further examples:
    AKQxxxxx (7 CCT), KQJxxxx (5), AQJ98xx (5), KQJTx (3), KQJTxxx (6),
    AKT9xxxxx (8), KJTxxx (2)

Is there a later version, and if so, has anything changed regarding the Extended rule of 25? 

• Oh I think I get it. The Orange Book has been replaced by the Blue Book. Just checked and the 2016 version says the same as my Orange Book regarding the Rule of 25.