Hello

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Aid memoir

I was once told that no aids as to the final contract were allowed to be left out - e.g. by leaving the final contact bidding cards on the table.

I am now told that this is allowable by EBU rules and ethics. Can you please clarrify. 

Comments

• Under Law 40C3 (a), a player is not allowed aids to memory, calculation or
    technique: for example, looking at the scores on the back of bidding cards during
    the hand is considered an aide-memoire and therefore illegal.

Sometimes in events with spectators the organisers allow the final contract card to be left on the table.

Players can write the contract on their scorecard, enter it into a bridge mate etc so I don't think if the bidding card was left there it would constitute and aid as defiend by the law. It is essentailly up to the club though as to whether to allow it not for individual players
  • A few players at our EBU club routinely tilt a card from within the bidding box to remind them of the contract. I would have thought that this is a clear aide memoire. 

Unless it has been recently updated, Law 40C3 (a) starts with something like "Unless permitted by the Regulating Authority...."  Does this mean that allowing the practice is a matter for the club for regular weekly meets but would usually be illegal in competition?