Hello

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

CLARIFICATION OF MEANING OF RESPONSES TO 5NT

Please can anyone confirm that in Bernard Magee's "Better Bidding - Slam Bidding Part 1" article he means that when responding to 5NT with 2 kings, one bids either 6NT or the Grand Slam itself. There is a lot of use of the word "you" in the paragraph without identifying who "you" actually is.
Thanks

Comments

• I read 'you' to be the responder after partner has bid 4NT, heard your response and  has then bid 5NT -  King asking with all 5 key cards located.  
    Personally being an 'improver', I have yet to use the 5NT king ask. and when I eventually do so it will be a simple 'how many kings' ask.  The chances of either partner or I remembering Bernard's clever twist are minimal! 
  • Please provide a link or other reference to the article to which you refer. I tried to search for it here and was unsuccessful. Thanks.
  • I think this is the article:

• Yes, reading this article, Barnard Magee is advocating that "when responding to 5NT with 2 kings, one bids either 6NT or the Grand Slam itself".

I have to say that the methods suggested in the article are not mainstream and you should agree things carefully with your partner if you want to play "Key-card Blackwood". The method is playable, but most beginners would learn simple Blackwood (showing only aces, not the king of trumps). Then when the player is ready to progress from Blackwood they normally move to "Roman Key-card Blackwood". This is the normal ace-asking convention used by tournament players. I have yet to meet any player at a club playing Bernard's methods.

Similarly, the responses suggested to the king-ask 5NT are a little unusual. Most player show the number of kings (5C=0, 5D=1, 5H=2, 5s=3) excluding the king of the trump suit. Some tournament players do play specific king responses - but there are several possible schemes of response and I personally use a different set of responses.

One thing that I do strongly approve of in Bernard's article - a bid of 5NT guarantees that all aces and the king of trumps are held. So with a source of tricks you should bid the grand slam in response to 5NT.